Sunday, July 19, 2009

Equipment Report Update

Please see my previous report in the May archives.

Vasque Blurs - trail running shoes – these shoes are light, comfortable and gave me no foot problems. I give them 5 out of 5 possible points.

Tilley Hats - I tested the AirFlo, the AirFlo with Insect Shield and the Mesh Hat. The hats kept my head equally cool and offered excellent sun protection. The Insect Shield greatly reduced the number of bugs flying around my head. The permethrin the Insect Shield uses is less powerful than DEET, but it is not absorbed into your blood like DEET is. It features a tuck-in neck/ear shield. I gave them 5 out of 5 points.

Osprey Exos 46 – pack – this pack is light (1 lb. 14 oz.) carries very well. Its mesh back kept my back cool and dry. It was large enough to hold my bear canister. (I give the pack 5 out of 5 possible points.

Titanium Goat Hiking Poles – at 3.2 oz. / pole, these carbon fiber poles are the lightest I’ve seen. Since poles get moved back and forth continuously, the light weight is very important. When the trail is smooth and relatively flat, I don’t use my poles. The light weight is appreciated when I’m not using them. I give them 5 out of 5 possible points.

No comments:

Post a Comment